Mariampur Convent Kanpur. 1957

55 years ago in 1953 a group of Ursuline sisters from Cannanore landed in Kanpur, at the request of Rev. Fr. B. G. Pereira the parish Priest of St. Patrick’s church, Kanpur. They opened a clinic in parish hall and accomplished much for the people in a short time. In 1956 a plot was purchased at Shastrinagar, Kanpur to construct a hospital and a Kindergarten school. The plot was named ‘Mariampur’, the city of Mary. On 8th December 1956 the Bishop of Allahabad. Rt. Rev. Raymond. Laid the foundation stone for the building. Rev. Fr. Alva took up the supervision of the building work. Mother Margaret and sisters from St. Patrick’s convent were coming over to mariampur to help Fr. Alva in the supervision work. The new community at Mariampur started on 30th May 1957 with Srs. Josophine, Lavina, Bianca, Columba and Mother Margret as the head of the this little band in a building which was still under construction. They had to face a lot of hardships and inconveniences, yet with undaunted courage and deep faith in God, they went on.

The locality was in need of a nursery school, so Mariampur School was opened in July 1957 with 33 kids on the roll. Ever since it’s humble beginnings the school had been growing from strength to strength and have metamorphosed today as a premier education institution in Kanpur, known for its value – based education, excellent infrastructure and a dedicated staff. Upgraded as a secondary school way back in 1972. accredited as a higher secondary in 1977, accredited permanent affiliation to CBSE, Delhi on 24th Sep. 1985, with the current student-strength of 2250, the march of Mariampur Sr. Sec. School has been steadily progressive.

The School celebrated its 50th golden years of service last year in the month of November 2007.